Syllabus Statement Examples
Georgia Institute of Technology is committed to creating a learning environment that meets the needs of its diverse student body. If you anticipate or experience any barriers to learning in this course, please feel welcome to discuss your concerns with me.
Students with a disability or think they may have a disability should contact the Office of Disability Services to inquire about services or request a meeting with a Coordinator. Students can find more information about the Office of Disability Services, including contact information, at disabilityservices.gatech.edu, or call ODS at (404) 894-2563 or in-person at Smithgall Student Services Building, 353 Ferst Drive, Suite 221. Student’s already been approved for accommodations through the Office of Disability Services, please schedule an appointment with your professor to discuss y our academic accommodations.
Georgia Tech is committed to creating a learning environment that meets the needs of its diverse student body. If you anticipate or experience any barriers to learning in this course, please feel welcome to discuss your concerns with me.
Students with disabilities, whether physical, learning, or psychological, who believe that they need accommodations, are encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible to ensure accommodations are implemented promptly. Students must provide documentation of their disability to ODS by uploading the forms into the AIM portal.
Georgia Tech welcomes students with disabilities into the University's educational programs. The University promotes efforts to provide equal access and a culture of inclusion without altering the essential elements of coursework.
Student’s experiencing academic barriers due to disability or chronic medical conditions, don't hesitate to contact the Office of Disability Services at disabilityservices.gatech.edu or call the office at (404) 894-2563 or in-person at Smithgall Student Services Building, 353 Ferst Drive, Suite 221. If you have already registered with the Office of Disability Services and have obtained an accommodation letter, please meet with me privately during office hours as early in the semester as possible to discuss implementing your accommodations.
Making an Announcement in Class
Please consider reading this statement or discussing it in class at the beginning of each semester. This can further normalize the accommodations process and encourage students to feel comfortable approaching you.
Accessibility statements, or embedding accessibility in your inclusive statement, on your syllabus can help to:
- Signal to all students in a course (not just those with disabilities) that you welcome discussion about individual differences in learning, encountered barriers, and ways to maximize access.
- Send a message that you value diversity and an inclusive learning environment.
- Open the door to communication and help students feel more comfortable approaching you.
- Normalize the accommodations process as just another part of the course.
- Inform students about college procedures and available resources.
An inclusive “accessibility” statement:
- Recognizes disability as an aspect of diversity and equity.
- Places emphasis on inclusive course design.
- Empowers the student and faculty member to work together to find solutions, involving the Accessible Education office when needed or desired.